- Work Location: Remote; UTC±0 to UTC+3 time zones preferred; Must overlap at least 3 hours daily with U.S. Eastern time zone
- Application Close Date: 29 May 2022
- Estimated Start date: 1st of July 2022
- Department: Technology & Innovation
- Reports to: Director of Technology & Innovation
- Terms: Full time, two years initial contract
- Travel:Up to 10% international, including to HOT field project locations
- Level: 9
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) sits at the nexus of participatory mapping, community-led development, humanitarian response, open data and tech. With a talented and diverse team spread around the globe, HOT is an NGO which supports a dynamic global community of thousands of dedicated volunteers using maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. Working with humanitarian and development partners like the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, UN agencies, governments and others, the HOT community maps in solidarity with those affected by or at risk of disaster, contributing the maps and data aid workers need to do their lifesaving work.
In 2020 the work of the HOT community was recognized by TED’s Audacious Project, a collaborative philanthropic initiative that serves as a springboard for social impact on a grand scale, leading to an exciting new phase of growth. HOT is expanding its activities: opening four regional hubs and scaling up its support to local mapping communities with the audacious goal of mapping an area home to one billion people in 94 countries at high risk of disasters or experiencing poverty - mapping with communities before they are in crisis.
You are passionate about putting people at the center of technology. You thrive by combining design and development to create products for human(itarian)use that people love. You are driven by delighting a community of diverse and unique users. You are a solution hunter and believe that value is delivered when the right solution is in the right hands. You appreciate sophistication in simplicity and strive to build experiences that build users. You are passionate about principles that drive inclusive technologies and love to translate empathy into experiences.
About the Role
We're seeking a Senior Hybrid Designer-Developer that can quickly and effectively take products from concept to shipment. A person that is a senior professional across the two disciplines of Software Design and Development, ideally in Free and Open Software environments.
During design phases, capturing user insights and creating a collage of imaginative ideas and prototypes which can be realized through agile collaboration. During development phases, relying on experience in a variety of programming languages, databases to build and iteratively improve. We expect you to support a passionate team of humanitarian hacktivists. The role will support the HOT tech team in collaboratively delivering a range of open source solutions, aiming to build tech that enables the Human[itarian] use of OpenStreetMap. In this way, contributing to support HOTs mission to improve livelihoods through open mapping.
The Senior Hybrid Designer-Developer will advance HOT’s mission by operationalizing the HOT_Tech core ethics:
- Human: Our Human ethic is our commitment to people as our priority. At the center of all our technology sits a human. The ultimate purpose of our technology is to improve human conditions.
- Open: Our Open ethic permeates all we do. Our actions reflect radical openness and transparency. We encourage open inputs and outputs. Our team and technology openly welcomes and engages community, collaboration and contribution.
- Truth: Our Truth ethic speaks to our belief that the truth on the ground guides us. We believe that the lived experience of those we work with and for is the ultimate authority for what is most needed and most meaningful. When decisions are not clear, we use the truth on the ground to guide our next step.
HOT_Tech Principles > see https://github.com/hotosm/tech/blob/master/principles/README.md
Responsibilities and Priority Areas for Action
- Conceptualize ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design challenges.
- Facilitate inclusive design thinking processes including user research, discovery and product concept to imagine the HOT technology strategy into existence.
- Collaborate with HOT’s global tech team and open source community to define, build, and release new, user-centered products.
- Construct user flows, wireframes, and prototypes that effectively communicate design concepts for validation.
- Develop and deliver well-documented, product designs that accurately reflect HOT’s mission.
- Design products that are intentionally inclusive and equitable.
- Work with engineers, designers, and test engineers to bring prototypes to life
- Participate in the overall application lifecycle with ownership of code throughout development, staging, testing and production.
- Development tasks will focus on frontend development, designing and deploying services, integrations with and consumption of third party services, database development, unit testing and mock data generation, development of regression testing scenarios and scripts.
- Follow best practices such as monitoring technical performance of applications to ensure code optimisations and troubleshoot and debug applications.
- Build high-quality efficient, reusable code, focus on clean readable code, debugging and ensuring good test coverage.
- Develop accessible documentation that increases contributor engagement and project sustainability.
- Participate in agile software planning and development activities including daily standups, user story and task organization and grooming activities, and effort estimation.
- Mentor and guide team members as well as internships, helping them develop and grow.
- Collaborate with communities to design, build and maintain applications.
- Communicate (blogs, presentations, working groups etc.) to raise visibility and engagement with hot_tech powered projects.
- Participate & showcase work in yearly conferences and other community working group meetings on a regular basis.
- Experience in Application Development, preferable in areas of Design and Development
- 5+ years experience with interaction design, user experience design, or similar field
- 5+ years experience in software development
- A creative mind with a problem-solving attitude, driven by inclusion and equity
- Proven track record delivering user-first, data driven solutions with a focus on getting things done
- Have a collaborative, self-motivated, "always-learning" spirit, driven to improve user experiences everywhere at all times through smart design and applied effort
- Be driven by compassion, humanitarian ethics, and a sense of humor
- Open and encouraging communication
- Working knowledge of agile teams or projects
- Experience working in a dynamic open source community across multiple stakeholder groups and with multiple concurrent projects
- Experience with OpenStreetMap (OSM) and associated OSM tools
- Experience in working with NGOs
Are you missing a few of the technical skills listed? We would still like to see your application. While the skills above fit our vision of this role, we are open to those candidates with a strong knowledge foundation that are fast learners and highly motivated to close any skill gaps.
Priority Areas (first 6 months focus)
- Create development ready, high fidelity wireframes for the OSM Galaxy website (https://galaxy.hotosm.org/) integrating recent design sprint outputs.
- The Galaxy site aims at representing map data quality and statistics so they can be used in decision making for more specifically HOT and our partners but open for anyone to use.
- Review and improve the existing design process for Galaxy (later on for HOT Tech products in general).
- Review and improve existing codebase and ensure sufficient development documentation is in place for the community to contribute.
- Implement a common design language system that works across different languages.
- Implement wireframes for the UI of Galaxy.
- Contribute to the creative vision and implementation of the HOT technology strategy.
- Mentor 1-2 employees on front-end development.
HOT values transparency and equity. All HOT compensation globally is set according to a framework detailed on our website. HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, and various other benefits that support staff wellbeing.
We seek to recruit persons that reflect the diversity of the communities we work with. HOT does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, physical ability, religious or belief systems, political convictions, or sexual orientation. Further, HOT seeks to support the development and advancement of staff within the organization. Our staff includes people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives on the world. HOT is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to live our values and promote inclusivity in all locations. All of our staff work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of all is valued and respected.
HOT is committed to diversity within our team, and recognizes our role in closing the digital divide, including identifying obstacles that certain groups face in developing skills needed for roles in the humanitarian & technology sectors. Women, nationals of developing countries, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please complete the application by May 29, 2021. Your CV/resume should not exceed 2 pages.